Thursday, August 26, 2010

Is Today’s Fang Market "Vamp Overkill"? $7 Bil Says No

OK, so...I LOVE this article that The Hollywood Reporter recently reported on:   Vampires bring $7 bil to Hollywood economy by Jay A. Fernandez and Borys Kit. According to THR estimates, Vampires generated billions of dollars in revenues within the last two years. (Thank you Twilight.) The areas tallied were Film, Publishing, TV, DVDs and Other/Misc. WOW, that’s a whole lot of blood money.

Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer,
FYI:  "Nightmares" is one of favs in the series.  
I love this topic because frankly, I’m sick of all the “vampire bashing.” Sure, the movie Vampire Sucks is funny and all – who doesn’t love a good spoof - but these folks aren’t dumb. They’re cashing in on the hanging fruit (or dollars) of this monstrous vampire money tree. I understand for some people the entire notion of “immortal beings” is overdone. Yet for people like me, who thrive on cryptic creatures, you can never have enough.

Now that I’ve said that, I have to own up. I personally wrote a couple of vampire novels that I am attempting to get published.  And...true story...when I wrote my novels, I wrote them not because people liked or disliked vampires. I wrote them because I love the topic. They say to write what you love and so I did.

It looks like vampires might be around for a bit longer, thanks to a different kind of dead economy. And for me, as a writer, reader and everything in between…that’s a bloody good thing.

What do you think about this topic? Is today’s fang market “Vamp Overkill” or…Do you have an insatiable appetite for bloodsuckers?


Mina B.



(Note: I’m currently working on my website and will be posting a synopsis and sample chapters of my novels for review. Check back soon or if not…bite me.)


No comments: