Monday, April 9, 2012

A-Z Challenge: J.K. Rowling's Hermione Granger

It's A-Z Challenge time. Today's letter is "H" is for J.K. Rowling's Hermione Granger. I could have easily discussed Harry Potter for this character feature, but I thought I'd highlight Hermione. Why? Because she was one on my favorite characters in the middle grade best-selling series.
"Just because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have."  

To me, she was the intellectual backbone of the threesome. She not only gave Harry intelligent perspective, but unconditional friendship.  Hermione helped guide him with her wisdom almost like a little Dumbledore.  And there is absolutely no way Harry would have flourished and eventually conquered Lord Voldemort  without her (Ron too, but that's another post.) 


What made her even cooler were her faults. I thought they made her vastly more appealing.  Isn't that always the case with lovable characters?  In fact, often their imperfections make them more perfect.  Right?  In the case of Hermoine, she was a muggle.  And to boot, she was entirely too smart, which made her more intimidating, especially since she was a muggle. She had a brash approach with her classmates and was a quasi know-it-all. These weren't horrible flaws, but at Hogwarts, one could consider them ghastly.  I loved how vulnerable yet likeable her shortcomings made her.

What about you?  What do you like or dislike about Hermione?

Mina B.

22 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

She never backed down and never gave up. She was stability.

Jaycee DeLorenzo said...

I like that she stuck to her guns, even when it made her a little irritating, and was consistent in all of her actions. You're right - Harry never would have made it without her.

New follower!

My A-Z

Elise Fallson said...

I liked Hermione too. I think her character helped balance out Harry and Ron. Also, I can't believe I haven't joined your blog yet!? I could have sworn I was already following.

Robyn Campbell said...

She is the coolest! I think she's my favorite. She has that never give up mentality. And you're right! Imperfections always make the characters more appealing. We all have 'em. So our characters need them too.

This post was spot on! *waving*

Patricia JL said...

I enjoyed how strong Hermione was and the way she was always there for Harry. It's not often we get such a great friendship that doesn't morph into romance.

DL Hammons said...

I liked the way she hid her vulnerabilities, especially in the early books. In my opinion, she was the most rounded of all the characters. :)

Lynn Proctor said...

i haven't read any of the books--but i totally agree about the flaws, making the charcter

Dani said...

I did Hermione for my "G" post. I loved her all the way through. She was determined and steadfast. If I had to pick someone to be in my corner, it would be her.

Cynthia said...

I love Hermione! Two things I like about her are her loyalty and maturity.

DonnaGalanti said...

She was a tough cookie - yet appealing and soft in some ways but always stuck to her beliefs.

Cecilia Robert said...

Oh, I'm so glad you featured Hermoine on your H. She is my fav in Harry Potter books. She is normal and intelligent and doesn't let anyone push her around.

S. L. Hennessy said...

I love Hermione. She's the epitome of a strong, intelligent, fearless female and someone for kids to look up to. Wonderful post.

Jackie said...

A know-it-all that can back it up and speak her mind? Yes, please. Oh, and her banter with Ron was awesome!
Great post!

Sarah Tokeley said...

She was great. Down to earth, loyal and stubborn at times. Her faults only made her more likeable :-)

Tonja said...

Love it that you chose Hermione instead of Harry. :)

Unknown said...

She was tough, stubborn, and wicked smart. Ron definitely married up.

Sylvia Ney said...

One of my favorite characters!

New follower here. I’m enjoying reading my fellow “A to Z”ers. I look forward to visiting again.

Sylvia
http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

I love Hermione! One of my favourite literary heroines :) Brave, and not afraid to tell it how it is!

Nick Wilford said...

It's no secret I'm not the biggest HP fan, but I do agree that imperfections make a character more endearing and real.

smug princess said...

I love Hermione. I agree, she is the intellectual backbone. =] New follower.

Mina Burrows said...

@Alex J. Cavanaugh - You're right. She didn't.

@Jaycee DeLorenzo - Tenacious as a terrier.

@Elise Fallson - LOL. Too funny, Elise.

@Robyn Campbell - She was the rock, huh?

@Patricia Lynne - She was a great friend, huh?

@DL Hammons - I agree.

@Lynn Proctor - I'm reading them with my son.

@Danielle B. - You did? I missed that. I need to go back and read it.

@Cynthia - Totally loyal.

@Donna Galanti - She was impossibly adorable, huh?

@Cecilia M. - Tough girls rock!

@S. L. Hennessy - Thanks, sweetie!

@Jackie - She wasn't afraid to speak her mind huh?

@Sarah Pearson - And down to earth too! Excellent point.

@Tonja -I had to do it. :)

@Michael Pierce - Yes he did!

@Sylvia Ney - Me too

@Rachel Morgan - Brave, yes!

@Nick Wilford - Yes, they do! :)

@Lindsey - Thanks!

carla said...

I agree with what has been said. She was very loyal to her friends, and remembered people who were nice to her.
Harry and Ron would never have made it thru the first book without Hermione.
And it was nice to see a boy and girl be friends and not become an item.
And she is a great role model for girls of all ages.