Saturday, April 13, 2013

Book Review: Walking Disaster by Jamie McGuire

Travis Maddox. *sigh*   New York Times bestseller and original selfpub sensation, Jamie McGuire  has done it again with book two in of her Disaster series, Walking Disaster.  Last year I wrote a post called, Buzzworthy Contemporary Romance Novels, where I reviewed Beautiful Disaster.  This one was one of my top five contemporary romance novels I read last year.  While Beautiful Disaster is written from Abby's POV, Walking Disaster is from Travis Maddox's perspective.  I remember reading the beginning of Walking Disaster and was struck with such love and empathy for this character I couldn't wait to read to rest.  Read that piece here.


Walking Disaster is almost exactly the story of Beautiful Disaster. There are times when the novels deviates just enough so we understand what's going on in Travis mind.  He's truly complex just like Abby.  I loved the way he gets frustrated with Abby's ability to shut down.  That's something I didn't pick up as much from the first novel.  Since his mother's death, Travis didn't realize what he'd been missing until he meets Abby.  Their wild and young romance confounds the brain, while managing to captivate your heart.  I'm now officially obsessed with the rest of the Maddox brothers.  There are four more brothers in the Maddox family (Thomas, Trenton, Tyler and Taylor) so I was hoping there would be more of a back story on these four to create other books, but I didn't get that sense.  That kind of bummed me out.  The ending threw me as well.  I wasn't expecting a continuation of Travis and Abby some ten plus years later.  I think I would have preferred a glimpse into another brother and his story, but hey...we all can't have everything we want.  That said, I am a HUGE fan of Jamie McGuire and of course the Maddoxs'.  

Walking Disaster was a 4.5 for me.  Want to know more about Jamie and her bestselling series, Beautiful and Walking Disaster?  Follow her on Facebook, Twitter or check out her website.

Have you read this series?  Are you a fan of Jamie?  What are some of your favorite new adult/ contemporary romance novels?

Mina B.

7 comments:

Jackie said...

Take heart I recently read an interview and she is hard at work on Trent's book and stated each brother gets his own story! XoXo

I totally am in love with BD and WD both as you said my brain cannot wrap around these two as a long term couple but my heart is happy they are one because they work even though they shouldn't.

Jocelyn Rish said...

I haven't read any of them, but you definitely have me intrigued!

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure I have the ebook of the first book in the series. It sounds like an awesome story.

Anonymous said...

Paranormal is not my usual genre. Your enthusiastic review has me reconsidering and checking these books out. Thanks for sharing. Love that you are doing books and reviews for the A to Z. :-)

Unknown said...

i haven't read these. I almost got Beautiful Disaster but the reviews were super mixed so I ended up skipping it. This has me rethinking though...thanks for the tip!

J.L. Campbell said...

Haven't read either of the books, but the story sounds good and the cover art is fabulous.

Cynthia said...

I haven't read either of these books yet. I think Beautiful Disaster is such a clever phrase.