Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Book Review: MaryJanice Davidson's Undead and Unemployed

I’m excited beyond words to announce that MaryJanice Davidson will be stopping by my blog soon.  I caught up with her recently and can't wait to share some telling insight into this New York Times and USA Today best-selling author.  For those unaware, Davidson pens the wickedly successful Undead series; an adult paranormal romance series starring the vampire queen of the undead herself, Betsy Taylor.  Two years ago, I posted my review for Book 1, Undead and Unwed.  In short, I loved it! (my review)
And now to celebrate my upcoming author interview, I'll be reviewing a few more of her Undead novels.  Today I wanted to highlight Book 2, Undead and Unemployed.  In Book 1, fans were stunned with the twist at the end of Undead and Unwed.  Consort be damned according to Betsy.  Eric Sinclair, the rat, can go to the devil for all Betsy cares.  At the beginning of Undead and Unemployed, it's been months since Betsy’s spoken and seen her King, but none of that matters. Why? Because Betsy the ever unconventional vampire needs a job. She's even trudged down to the unemployment, searching for assistance. Can the undead get unemployment? In Betsy's world, anything is possible. But we soon learn there's murder lurking in Minnesota, threatening to kill off her subjects.  A band of spirited teenagers are slaying her people and Queen Betsy, of course, gets caught up in the drama–most of which she creates.

As Betsy learns to hold the reigns of her kingdom, she fumbles her way hilariously through her monarchy.  With Eric’s undermining, Tina’s undying loyalty plus a whole new cast of characters, Betsy will have to learn fast who she can trust.  Being Queen of the Undead isn't easy, but Betsy being "Betsy" makes it worse.  Luckily, this diva uses her fashion sense and her lust for life (undead or not) to preserver and conquer heart-staking vampires and of course love.

Undead and Unemployed was a comical and intriguing read and a delightful addition to the series. If you haven’t had a chance to read this one…get on it!

Favorite line Betsy surmising Sinclair pre reconciliation: “A true irony: I’d had to die to meet someone truly spectacular, and it turned out I couldn’t stand him.”

Mina B.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just purchased the first 2 books in this series (B & N was having a killer sale) and although I haven't started them yet, I can't wait to do so. Great reviews!

Saph

DonnaGalanti said...

Mina, these books just sound like wicked, delish fun...I am checking out. Thanks for the great review!

Mina Burrows said...

@Sapphyria - Just you wait! I loved book 1 & buying book 2 was smart, cuz you'll want to know what happens for sure!

@Donna - These books are total delish! :)

Stacy Henrie said...

This sounds like a great, entertaining read! I love humorous books and the twist on the paranormal/vampire thing sounds really cool.

Sarah Tokeley said...

Why haven't I heard of this series before? It sounds like great fun :-)

Claire Hennessy said...

These series sound right up my street - will add to my ever massive 'to be read' pile. Thanks for the reviews. I've given you the Sunshine Award over on my blog :)

Mina Burrows said...

@Stacy, @Sara & @Claire - Trust me...these are wonderful! I hope you all get a chance to check them out. :)