Wednesday, August 7, 2013

IWSG: Can you feel it?

Insecure Writers Support Group for August is here. Special thanks to Alex for creating and hosting this monthly meme.  I also want to thank Alex's co-hosts M. Pax, Karen Walker, and Melissa Maygrove.

Last month was a challenging one.  I'd like to have the month over to do a redo, please.  Can I borrow someone's time machine?  That would be great.  In short, my kids got lice of all things and gave it to me.  In the summer, no less!  Wahoo!  #goodtimes.  That left me mostly worrying about nit-combing, cleaning, washing multiple times until my hands were raw and my brain was addled.  By the end of week one, I felt like a Chimpanzee mother, fine-tooth-combing her young for bugs, much like the picture here.  You can't imagine what one goes through when lice happens.  If you want to read an informative and quite hilarious post about Lice, Lice, Lice, yeah (80's song reference) ...check out Elise Fallson's post.  With back to school on the horizon, you'll may want may find this post an invaluable resource.  I did. :)
  
So, you may be asking what does this have to with IWSG?  Well, nothing can derogate your writing mojo and security like a good case head lice.  *scratches head*  

Head lice aside, I finally got rid of those pesky bugs and just in time for our family vacation.  Yes, we writers have to have those every now and then.  We ended up heading to Orlando, which is a few hours away from me and took the kids to Universal.  One of the best parts of the trip was the Harry Potter experience.  In a word: awesome!  Hanging with the fam gave me fantastic memories and a great perspective that helped tamper down my insecurities for July.  As I was leaving HP land, I took a picture of this poster that Universal sported to cover up their construction mess.  When I read it, I spoke to me.  
Can you feel it too?
Be honest...did your head itch while reading this post?

Mina B.

14 comments:

Laura Clipson said...

Yeah, my head is itching right now. I'm jealous of your trip to Harry Potter world, I'd love to go there! Maybe one day :)

Elise Fallson said...

Great poster and yes, I can feel it too!! (why is my head scratching?) Glad you got some good quality time with the fam. That is so important. I'm headed for a short trip on Friday with the fam for about a week. Where we're going I don't have to worry too much about lice, but ticks.....uggg that'll be another story... :P

Tina said...

Um, yes, it did itch...I'm a sensing person and really get into what I'm reading...
Sorry to hear of your travails but glad you prevailed in time for your family vacation. Alas, we didn't get one this summer, though The Engineer did get some random days off. He's working on a big project and just could NOT get away.
I am so jealous of the HP trip. I adore Harry, and would love to see all that one day.
Tina @ Life is Good

Tonja said...

Yes, I'm itching. Been there if that makes you feel better.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Yes, it did - thanks.
Glad you don't have to deal with that now.
That sign is perfect. Glad you had a good time at Universal.

S. L. Hennessy said...

I LOVED Harry Potter World. Best. Place. Ever.

P.S. Sorry about the lice. That sounds...scratchy.

Suzanne said...

Lice - with 6 kids and being a nursery nurse I think the expression 'Been there. Done that. Bought the Tee shirt!' pretty much covers it!
We went to the HP studios in London in May, it was amazing :)
Suzanne @ Suzannes-Tribe

Michelle Wallace said...

I love those words... yes, great things are on the way... my very first online submission has been accepted. My flash fic piece will be published next week Wed.14th!
The lice story made me think of Itchy and Scratchy... from Krusty The Clown... *feels itchy*
Writer In Transit

ELAdams said...

Yes - now I itch everywhere! Harry Potter world sounds absolutely fantastic! Wish we had one in the UK! Though I am going to the Warner Bros' studio tour in London next month, which is the next best thing! :D

klahanie said...

"I Was Seeking Gary". Can you feel it? Sorry, ignore me.

I was going to scratch my head after reading this posting. However, do I want to get a splinter....

Thank you for your contribution to this amazing interaction type stuff.

With that, I'm going. It's gone three in the morning!

Gary :)

Kimberly said...

OMGosh you are too funny! I did scratch my head once! hahaha

I love what that sign says. Very cool - I hope it's true. :)

Unknown said...

Yes...and even more so after you mentioned it. Haha. You're so lucky (not about the lice), the Universal in LA doesn't have a Harry Potter park. I so want to go there, but Orlando a long way from So Cal. I think I need to go wash my hair now. :)

Tammy Theriault said...

ah that sucks lice eggs!!! hahaha...i think that sign should be for life!!

Unknown said...

Somehow I managed to escape this with both my kids, but just the thought makes me itchy. We live in the mountains among sage brush and the thought of ticks make me feel all creepy crawly too. Yes, very distracting to your writing mojo. I can see why! Glad you got a vacation after all that.