Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Book Review: The Eternity Cure (The Immortal Rules #2) by Julie Kagawa

I just finished The Eternity Cure (The Immortal Rules #2) by Julie Kagawa.  WOW!  What a great book!  If you missed my review of book 1, The Immortal Rules, click here.  I can't believe I read book 1 over a year ago.  Time flies,huh?
Last year, I  gave book this new vamp seres a 4 because it hooked me from the beginning.  I love when an author brings a fresh take on vamp lit.  And Julie did just that and then some.  The Eternity Cure, thankfully, continues the path that Immortal Rules started and then explodes into a frenzy of epic proportions.  I have to admit, I read a few reviews that dissuaded my interest at first with book 2.  The overall comment was the beginning was a bit slow.  I have to agree.  It was a tad slow, but still highly entertaining nonetheless.  

We left our heroine, Allison, a bad-ass vampire babe, who after being expunged from the safety of Eden--the city of the living(humans)--is beckoned by the cries of her sire, Kanin.  Kanin's imprisoned by, Sarren, another vampire, who is the epitome of evil.  As Sarren psychotically abuses Kanin for his crimes against the vampire community, Kanin's calls of distress send a signal to his sired children to come to his aid. One of Kanin's children, if you recall from book 1, is Jackal.  You remember the sadistic vampire who ruled one of the vampire cities?  Well, he's back and I must say, what a pleasure it was to have him in book 2.  He breathed life into Allison's somber existence.  Thank God!  Don't get me wrong.  I loved Allison, but she's such a new vampire in a truly dystopian/vamp world that she's still trying to find her way.  Jackal brings a colorful take on being a vampire and does it with such hilarity.  What a riot!  As a reader, I had a visual image of the true character of Jackal. but I couldn't find a match for holiday, until I saw this post from the Bloody Bookoholic! This emphatic reader/blogger went nuts with her Hollywood pics for a movie since the rights to the series were recently purchased.  And let me tell you she hit the mark with Russell Brand as the Jackal.  




In book 2, Ezekiel is back (Zeke), and at first I was stunned.  After all Allison when through in The Immortal Rules, he honestly was the last person I expected to return.  I know.  I know.  That's incredibly dense on my part since he is the love interest.  Still, he arrives, along with a whole cast of entertaining characters.  I didn't burn to read this one until I hit about page 200, but wow...those last 230+ pages were on fire for me.  I'm totally hooked on this series.  So much is at stake now.  So much... I won't give you any spoilers other than despite Allison being a vampire and Eziekiel being a human, they may just have a future.

This was a 4.5 for me!  Hot damn.  Cant's wait for book 3!

Mina B.

8 comments:

mshatch said...

It's great to find a series you love like that. The only thing I hate about series is that you have to wait!

PK HREZO said...

Nice! Havent heard of this series, but dont you just love it when you find one so gripping you hate for it to end??

J.L. Campbell said...

Your enthusiasm and interpretation of the story makes me want to read and I'm not even a vampire fan.

Elise Fallson said...

I skimmed your post to avoid spoilers? This series sounds really good and you've got me wanting to read book 1. (:

klahanie said...

Hi Mina,

Yay, I'm here! From what I just quickly glanced through, um, thoroughly read, it seems, from what you've written, that this series of books is something you can really get your teeth into.

In regards to Russell Brand, I can think of another word in regards to him that sounds similar to a "Jackal".

Be well, I'm going now.....

Unknown said...

I didn't even realize this book was out yet! I LOVED the first book in the series. I am actually one of the only YA readers I know who wasn't overly impressed with Julie Kawaga's Iron series. I thought Immortal Rules was way better.

Can't wait to read this book and thanks for the great review! (So glad Zeke is back!)

Oh, by the way, if you liked these books, you should check out Angelfall by Susan Ee. You've probably already read it--I know tons of people have but, if you haven't, I think you'd like it.

It's not a vampire book but something about the feel of these two books struck me as similar. Angelfall is non-stop action and a truly amazing heroine/story.

nutschell said...

I dont normally go for vampire books but this sounds like so much fun! Thanks for the recommendation.
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

ELAdams said...

I absolutely love this series! Can't wait for the third book! :D