Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Book Review: Richelle Mead's The Golden Lilly

Book 2 in Richelle Mead’s best-selling Bloodlines series is The Golden Lily. If you haven’t read Book 1, Bloodlines, check out my review here. Bloodlines is the spin off of Mead's international best-selling Vampire Academy series, featuring Sydney the Alchemist— a young member of a secret group of humans sworn to protect humans from the unearthly creatures like Moroi, Strigoi or anything mystically unnatural.

The Golden Lily starts off revealing part of the mystery behind the alchemist world. It gave me the creeps
which I loved!   Mead's a master at world-building in the urban fantasy genre. Her take alone on the Strigoi vampires is chilling indeed. Sydney is a brilliant young alchemist who has spent her whole-life learning that unnatural beings are mostly evil. Getting too close can reap heinous consequences. Now that she's deep in the Moroi, Dhampir and Strigoi world, is she strong enough to fight the allure of what the Alchemist's deem the dark side?

The Golden Lily was a wicked read.  Sydney was pushed to uncomfortable limits, including dating and her first kiss.  I loved that her potential romance was equally intelligent as her—which led to some hilarious situations and dialogue.  In the beginning, Sydney is reminded what it means to be an Alchemist and the horrific consequences that are at stake if she screws up.  Since being on assignment as a political ally to the Royal Moroi and Dhampirs, she’s tested all sorts of boundaries, including magic, friendship and love.  I remember in the Vampire Academy series thinking Sydney was such a nerd. And as I’m reading on in the spin-off Bloodlines series, I realize she’s still a nerd, and extremely cautious, but also incredibly loyal.  Ironically, that loyalty extends not to just her Alchemy roots, but to her new friends—the ones she’s been taught her whole life to fear.

This book was an excellent addition to the series and a 4.5.  And the way it ended with Adrian (swoon) all I can say is I can’t wait to read Book 3, The Indigo Spell.   For those interested, Mead recently posted Chapter 1.  Check it out below.
THE INDIGO SPELL by Richelle Mead (Bloodlines 3) - First Chapter

Have you read the Vampire Academy?  What about Bloodlines or The Golden Lily?  What are your favorites?

Mina B.

8 comments:

DonnaGalanti said...

Mina, I feel like I am missing out on a whole world. I just cant get into Vampires at all - books or movies. And there is so much out there. Will this one change my mind??

Elise Fallson said...

My name is Elise Fallson, and I've never read a Mead book. I feel so ashamed. *goes and stands in the corner*

Romance Book Haven said...

Hi Mina!

I love Vampire stories and will definitely be adding this to my TBR!

Thanks for posting about it!

Nas

Anonymous said...

Straight to the point and well written! Why can't everyone else be like this?

Unknown said...

Not a vampire fan, but this sounds like an interesting read.

David P. King said...

I've yet to hear of these, but now I have. Thanks for the heads up! :)

Gwen Gardner said...

Hmmm, like Elise, I've never read a Mead book either. But this sounds really good. Thanks Mina:)

Anonymous said...

I love the Vampire Academy books. I had no idea about this new series. Thanks for sharing this.