Wednesday, January 3, 2018

IWSG: Happy New Year - The Year of the Dog

Happy New Year IWSG Friends! May all your writing dreams come true this year! Based on the Chinese Zodiac, 2018 is the year of the Dog. I'm not sure if you follow any of that, but if you do, then you'll want to know that this year, "its characteristic word is ACTION!" And as writers we need a ton of that, right? Right!

Anyway, like most folks, the end of the year was a trifle exhausting and frankly, I was happy to see 2017 go. Now onto a new year. Things have slowed only a bit due mainly to my kids being on break, but that will change in the next week.  Not to worry though, I'm ready.

And now on to IWSG! Before I begin, special thanks to Alex J. Cavanaugh for creating IWSG monthly hop. This month's co-hosts are Tyrean Martinson, Ellen @ The Cynical Sailor, Megan Morgan, Jennifer Lane, and Rachna Chhabria!  Thanks, you guys!

To learn more about this program and how it can help your insecurities, visit the website here.

IWSG January 2018


Monthly question:  "What steps have you taken or plan to take to put a schedule in place for your writing and publishing?"

The only thing I've done somewhat consistently is writing. I have one novel I made some progress with during NaNo and last month. Truthfully,  I've been working on it for some time and then there are other novels I've nearly completed. My goals for this quarter are to have at least two of the pending novels and the one I'm working on now completed by end of March. After that, it's editing, editing and, more editing -- which is something I'm terribly insecure about. But I'm not worried about it. I'll manage. Anyway, that's it. I'm trying to get back on track with a better blogging schedule so keep your fingers crossed on that one.

Do I have any resolutions? No. Not really. It's really more lifestyle changes to help me better manage my projects, work and of course my family's needs.  For example, I've mentioned several writing objectives above and I've thought long and hard about how to achieve them. I have a few strategies I've put in place that mostly center around me saying no. And that's not easy to do as a parent. Still, I've been making some headway so between this and my schedule, I think I'm heading in the right direction. Wish me luck.

And before I forget...Happy New Year!


Source


Remember #IWSGPit 


The next #IWSGPit will be Thursday, January 18, 2018!
8:00 am - 8:00 pm Eastern Standard Time


What are your insecurities this month? How's your writing going?

Mina B.

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You've been writing and now you know where you need to go - and how. That's good.
Sometimes we have to say no. For our own sanity.

Cathrina Constantine said...

Wow, wishing you much luck with your writing. I'm also at the editing stage, which can be hairy! Wishing you much success in 2018! Happy New Year!

Sarah Foster said...

Editing has definitely caused some insecurities for me for quite some time. Good luck with all of your writing in the new year!

Cynthia said...

Good luck with the editing.

One thing that helps me to be better at saying "no" is to remember that saying "no" to one thing means that I'm actually saying "yes" to another thing.

Crystal Collier said...

Happy new year! I agree--the end of 2017 was pretty intense. I had a baby, had a surgery, cleaned lice out of 4 kids hair, and took the entire family out of town for 2.5 weeks to see relatives. I can't say it was a vacation, because it really was more like a marathon, but 2018 is here, and all of that is in the past. Mostly. Here's to an epic 2018!

Misha Gerrick said...

I was also glad to see 2017 go. Just hoping that 2018 doesn't turn into another like it.