Saturday, April 19, 2014

A-Z: Classic Monsters: Q: The Winged Serpent & R for Jack the Ripper

My double post for today is for the letter Q and R for the A-Z Challenge.  I had to dig down for the letter Q.  My quest was an entertaining one too.  I decided to feature Q: The Winged Serpent, a really bad 80's film that had me roaring when I watched it.  With Michael Moriarty and David Carradine, I'm not sure how a film could go wrong, but it did.  My other R for Jack the Ripper.

About Q: The Winged Serpent 

From Amazon:  Its name is Quetzalcoatl, a dragon-like Aztec god that is summoned to modern-day Manhattan by a mysterious cult. But just call it "Q"...because that is all you'll be able to say before it tears you apart!






One of the world's most renowned unsolved mystery deals with the infamous classic monster, Jack the Ripper.  He trolled the streets of London near the East Side where he caught and mutilated female prostitutes.  Over the years there has been wide speculation as to the identity of this killer.  Was he a prominent Lord, physician or German merchant?  No one knows nor ever will, but the foreshadowing of the serial killers we have today is bone-chilling.




The News


Just take a look at one of the newspaper headlines back then.  The city ran ramped with the gruesome details and speculation.  Scotland Yard had much pressure back then to investigate the killings and find the perpetrator.  Unfortunately that never happened and even today, investigators/historians try to speculate, using modern-day technologies to do so.  Take a look at an update featured last year here.




The Letters


Additionally, there were those who tried to capitalize on the media frenzy, writing direct letters to the authorities from supposedly Jack the Ripper himself.  Take a look at this letter that taunts investigators.  Whether or not this was in fact written by the monster Ripper, we have no clue.  Still the effect that it has on readers is believable--even after all this time.  Click image enlarge.

What are your thoughts on the Ripper?  Classic Monster or historical horror story?  You can read more about this historical monster at Biography.com.





9 comments:

Sophie Duncan said...

I have never seen that movie - if I find it on, I might watch it for the laughs thanks to your rec, but I don't think I'll go looking ;P

Jack the Ripper - nightmare of London and a mystery no-one seems to be able to let go of. There have been worse murderers, but it's because he's never been unmasked that I suppose he is still so notorious.

Sophie
Sophie's Thoughts & Fumbles - A to Z Ghosts
Fantasy Boys XXX - A to Z Drabblerotic

Tasha Duncan-Drake said...

I've been meaning to see Q for a while, just because, but I have yet to get round to it :).

Jack the Ripper is a monster because he's still unknown and a monster has to have a little mystery about them. Because all the facts aren't public record it means his evil can be brought back in monstrous ways :)
Tasha
Tasha's Thinkings - AtoZ (Vampires)
FB3X - AtoZ (Erotic Drabbles)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Amazing he was never caught.
I posted about the movie Q during the very first Challenge! Yeah, it was not a good film.

klahanie said...

Hi human, Mina,

On "Q" I say how "R" you? Arf!

That's one strange name for a dragon. Then again, a dragon can any name it wants. I wouldn't argue with a dragon.

My human thought Jack the Ripper was a dude with a flatulence problem.

Jack was a human monster of ghastly proportions.

Happy Easter, human.

Pawsitive wishes,

Penny, the friendly host of the Alphabark Challenge! )

Ava Quinn said...

O. M. G. That Q movie... I just don't have words through the laughter!! lol.

And Jack the Ripper is so creepy and morbid. Just like a train wreck you can't look away from.

djinnia said...

Ripper is beyond creepy! I mean what he did to those women was horrible and vicious.

Heather R. Holden said...

Never heard of Q: The Winged Serpent before. I have heard of Jack the Ripper, though! (Who hasn't?) Such a shame his identity will never be able to be discovered...

S. L. Hennessy said...

I haven't heard of the Winged Serpent before but Jack the Ripper...he's hard to forget. One of the most notorious monsters in history. But I can't help but be fascinated by him.

Timothy S. Brannan said...

I remember when "Q" first came out. I really wanted to see it but never got around to it. I should add it to my watch list.

Jack the Ripper. What can I add about him.

--
Timothy S. Brannan
The Other Side, April Blog Challenge: The A to Z of Witches