Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Book Review: Cassandra Clare’s City of Bones

Book one in Cassandra Clare’s City of Bones (Mortal Instruments), was definitely not what I expected.   Truth be told, I wasn’t entirely sure what to expect.  I’ll do my best not to mention too many spoilers but I’m won’t make any promises.
The book opened with fifteen year old Clary Fray hanging out at a club called Pandemonium in New York City where she sees things that no one else can see.  I was hooked instantly by Clare’s vivid words and artful imagination.  Clary spied the unthinkable and doesn’t know how or why.  It’s there where she meets a young pack of beings called Shadow Hunters.  She’s drawn to them, but for what reason?  These Shadow Hunters she befriended are both fierce and feared.  But how can Clary, such a young, insecure and innocent teenager, have the courage to hang with demon hunters…killers even?

In a series of events, her overprotective mother disappeared and not too long after, she’s chased by horrifying demons.  Everything that was familiar to her is now inexplicably different.  The tale then moved from one task to the next as Clary tries to find her mother, save her friend and find the mortal cup.  During her quest, she slowly discovered the truth about what she is.  And not to mention who her father is.

This book had pros and cons for me.  First pro, it was unbelievably well written.  The dark urban fantasy world Clare created was amazing and captivating.  The beginning started with a bang, but then at times, I found the book lagging.  For example, Clary and her new shadow friends did a bunch of running around which I found tiring and unnecessary.  During the last third of the book, the plot spiked and I was excited.  With all the foreshadowing, it was easy to guess who her father was so I was excited to read the outcome.  Unfortunately, the author did what I thought was a bait and switch with the plot, revealing a major character – and potential love interest – as her brother.  For me, I found that confusing and slightly disappointing.
Overall, my favorite aspect was the dark world of Shadow Hunters, Idris and the City of Bones.  I loved the characters Jace, Simon, Alec and even Luke.  I couldn’t get enough of them and wanted to read more.  For me, Cassandra Clare’s City of Bones (Mortal Instruments) was a 3.75.  If you’re looking for a unique take on dark YA urban fantasy, then this is just the book for you! 
Until next time…Mortal Instruments anyone?

Mina B.

3 comments:

Idris said...

I read this book some years ago, and I really liked it... (Specially because I found my name there!!!: D )
But I think the next two books are better...

April X said...

Loved this book :) And yeah the Jace being her brother thing, don't let that stop you from reading the rest of the books :) Who knows what will happen...

Mina Burrows said...

@Idris - Hi, sweetie. Keep in mind that you are the original Idris! BTW I keep hearing the other books are better.

@April X - Thanks, April. You're really selling me on continuing to read on. I'll admit, I am curious.