Thursday, June 10, 2010

A Paranormal Book Review: Alyson Noel's Evermore

One of my girlfriends lent me Alyson Noel’s Evermore last weekend and I promised I’d blog about it. I was surprised it didn’t make the Vampires.com - Top 15 Popular Young Adult Vampire Series. But, for whatever reason, it didn’t. Still, that didn’t stop the series from being on several best seller lists.
Evermore is a YA vampire/immortal series about a sixteen year old, Ever Bloom, who’s the only survivor from a tragic car accident that killed both her parents and younger sister.


Ever is alone now, living with her Aunt and trying to piece her life back together, wishing she were dead. Her biggest problem – other than losing her entire family -is since her accident; she now has psychic abilities like reading people’s minds and seeing the future. This once vibrant, popular teenager has turned into a freak and a loner since her accident. Her only friends are Haven and Miles…oh and her little sister, Riley, who is a ghost that haunts her too.


The love interest or soul mate is Damien and he sounds about as yummy as one can get for a YA novel. He’s the vampire, of course. I wasn’t sure about his role in the beginning – all I knew was he was definitely creepy. But as the book progressed on, there was something about him and Ever. Half way through the book, I fell in love with their story. I can honestly say I was enthralled with this YA novel from the beginning. The ending or reveal was a bit odd for me. Drina and Damien’s relationship was just strange. I get jealousy but, I don’t get how Damien could be so oblivious and not to see what Drina was doing to Ever’s soul - over and over for the last several hundred years. From a love story’s perspective, that aspect just bothered me.


Two things about this book that I thoroughly enjoyed were the characters Miles and Riley. I can recall laughing out loud a few times when I read some of Mile’s dialogue. He’s fugg’n hilarious. And as for Riley…I just wanted to squeeze her, she was so darn cute.


Evermore, for me, was a delightful read. On the Mina Burrows KilloMeter, I give Evermore a 3.


Until next time, if you’re looking for something to read, try a YA novel.


Mina B.

No comments: